My kids are huge Idli Dosa fan and their favourite meal anytime means Idli or Dosa with coconut chutney.
Every region has their own variations of Idli batter. This is the one that turned out to be perfect for me after many trials. I have always got soft spongy Idlis and crispy dosas using this recipe.
Try making this and enjoy the wonderful healthy balanced and nutritious meal of south India.
Ingredients for idli and dosa
1 1/4cup whole white urad dal
4 cup sonamasuri rice (to give a healthy twist i have used brown sonamasuri rice)
1 1/2 cup poha or flatten beaten rice (soak in two cups water)
1 tsp fenugreek
1 tsp salt
Soak all ingredients separately in plenty of water
Soak all for 4-5 hours
- Soak ingredients as mentioned above.
- Strain fenugreek seeds and grind in a mixer grinder…..then add soaked poha and a cup of water and grind well till the mix fluffs up.
- Take out in a big vessel . Next in the grinder add drained urad dal and grind using a cup chilled water. Grind well and add in the vessel and mix all well together.
- Next grind strained soaked rice in the grinder in batches and use upto 1 cup of water. Add the grinded rice in the dal poha mixture and mix everything well.
- Add salt and mix everything well. Cover and keep in a warm place. In winters keep the vessel between layers of a blanket or inside an oven with light on.
- Ferment for 8-10 hours.
- Heat an idli steamer with water. Apply ghee on idli plates. Pour batter in the idli moulds and steam for 7 mins. Dont steam longer as they will be hard.
- Take out the moulds and let it cool for couple of mins then take out idlis using spoon. Serve with nariyal chutney and tiffin sambhar… enjoy the most soft spongy idlis…
For the dosa, add water and thin the batter and on a non stick make dosa……to make crispy dosa cook the dosa on low heat and use ghee.
⅓ cup fresh shredded coconut
2 tablespoon roasted gram
1 tbsp curd
1 -2 green chillies
¼ teaspoon salt
one inch ginger
1-2 Tbsp milk
For the tadka
1 teaspoon sesame oil (or ghee)
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon urad dal
a pinch of asafoetida powder
1-2 Whole dried red chillies
Few curry leaves
- In a mixer grinder, grind the coconut, ginger, curd, gram, green chillies and salt. Add milk and water to adjust consistency to make a smooth paste. take out in a bowl.
- In a tadka pan, heat oil or ghee. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, whole red chillies, urad dal and curry leaves . Once, the seeds splutter add the tempering to the chutney.
Enjoy the chutney with hot spongy idlis and dosa. Its also a nutritious meal to carry in tiffin for kids. Make chutney and idli batter in advance and in morning steam the idlis and send in tiffin.