My cooking basically revolves around my kids these days. They are huge pizza fans but the store bought pizza are made in bulk and who knows what goes inside the. I prefer to make my pizza base at home to get the authentic rustic pizzas.
This is my perfect go to recipe every time they want to eat pizza. It has wholewheat flour along with all purpose flour plus i control the toppings and can add all healthy stuff in the homemade pizza sauce. Try making these and you will never like the taste of store bought pizzas again. I allow my kids to shape the pizza as they like and put whatever stuffings that they want. they like the thick crispy pizza sides so hence the pizza in the pic is made by them as per their choice.
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups all purpose flour (u can use half whole wheat n half all purpose also)
- Measure water in a measuring cup, then add the yeast and sugar. Stir gently, then let sit until it’s active and foamy. This will happen within 5-10 mins
- In a large bowl, stir salt, oil, and 2 cups flour and keep stirring in the yeast mixture as you go, using a wooden spoon. Add the third cup of flour and then stir until you can’t anymore. Remove the spoon and then use your hands to work the dough into a ball that is slightly sticky.
- Knead for 10 mins to develop gluten
- Oil a second large bowl and add your pizza dough ball, then brush top lightly with oil and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in a warm area of the kitchen and let rise until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Note: this pizza dough can make 1 thicker crust or 2 thin crust 10-12” pizzas, or 4-6 small personal sized pizzas.
- When ready to make pizza: turn out dough onto a lightly floured cutting board or a sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle with more flour if needed so you can stretch and flatten the dough into your desired size.
- Cut parchment paper to fit the pan you’re using, hanging over just about an inch on all sides our circumference.
- Preheat oven to 250F. Place pizza pan in the oven while the oven is preheating. Place your pizza dough on the sized parchment paper and top as desired.
- Once the oven is up to temperature, carefully transfer the pizza to the hot pan (be careful – pan is HOT). Cook until the cheese is melted and crust is slightly browned.
- I baked for around 12 -15 mins…if u feel that to cheese is browning too much and base needs more browning then cover pizza with a piece of parchment paper and bake for couple of mins more