I am a huge Masterchef Australia fan and I couldn’t hold my excitement on seeing Saransh Goila in it. Being a vegetarian , I was a little disappointed on seeing the Butter Chicken Masala . But then the paneer lover in me decided to give it a twist and make Paneer Butter Masala while incorporating elements from his dish. This one is dedicated to him.
As per husband, that is the best ever Paneer dish he has ever had be at home or any restaurant. This compliment coming from a man who has never complimented before. Hence, sharing this awesome recipe with you guys. Hope you make and eat and enjoy the blissful taste of this dish.
Paneer 500 gms, diced in squares
For the marinade:
- Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Ginger paste – 2 tsp
- Garlic paste – 4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
For the gravy:
- Peppercorns – 5
- Cloves – 5
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Star Anise – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1, about an inch long
- Tomatoes – 1 kg, sliced
- Onions – 1/2 kg, sliced
- Garlic cloves – 10
- Ginger – 1 inch piece, diced fine
- Raw Cashews – 20
- Almonds –15 whole almonds
- Kashmiri Degi Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Butter – 5 tbsp
- Milk – 2-1/4 cup or 500 ml
- Water – 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp butter
- Whole dried red chillies 6-7
- Degi Mirch 1 tsp
- Kasoori Methi – 2 tsp
- Cream – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Combine the ingredients of the marinade in a large bowl. Add the pieces of paneer and mix. Cover and marinade the paneer for an hour.
- In a non stick pan, heat a add 1 tsp of oil. When hot add paneer pieces and roast on all sides to get a grilled flavour. Dont overcook or it will break. A minute on each side is enough. Keep aside.
- In a deep pan, heat butter and saute all dry whole spices (cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns, star anise, cinnamon).
- Next add ginger garlic paste. Saute for a minute.
- Next add onions and add salt and sugar to it. It will caramalize onions faster and evenly.
- When onions are golden brown, add cashews and almonds and roast for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and add coriander powder and degi mirch. cook covered for 15 minutes on low to medium heat till done.
- Let the mix cool and then blend the contents into a smooth puree. Add milk while blending the puree
- In the pan, add a tbsp of butter and add the pureed gravy. add water and boil for 10 -15 mins on low heat. Add the roasted paneer pieces. Cover and remove from flame.
- In a small non stick pan, roast kasoori methi till it becomes fragrant.
- In a tadka pan, heat butter, add whole red chillies and degi mirch.
- Add it to the gravy and garnish with fresh green coriander and garam masala.
- Top with hot tadka .
- Serve with rotis or pudina paranthas.