Rava Idli is one of my kids favourite tiffin dish to take to school. Its one of the easiest thing to make in morning and with coconut chutney makes a healthy filling meal. make and enjoy.
1 cup rava or semolina
1/2 cup curd (sour is possible)
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1/2 tsp eno fruit salt
1 tsp oil (for greasing idli plates)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp gram dal or chana dal
1 tsp finely chopped curry leaves
A pinch of asafoetida
2 tsp cooking oil
- Heat 2 Tsp of oil, add all ingredients of tempering and fry till dals are golden brown. Add the semolina and fry on low heat till aromatic and roasted. Keep aside till cool.
- You may refrigerate this mix in an airtight container and use when needed.
- To make Idlis, Mix 1 cup of above roasted Rava with 3/4 cup beaten curd, leave aside covered for 15 mins.
- Bring an Idli steamer with enough water to a boil. Add Eno fruit salt to the idli mix and give a quick stir. Don’t over beat.
- Grease the idli plates and add one spoon of the mix in one slot. Remember not to overfill the batter. It should be almost 3/4th full.
- Similarly fill the other Idli moulds.
- Steam for 10-12 mins. Slightly cool, take out with the help of wet spoon and serve hot with Coconut Chutney.