Gluten free eating is the latest health norm these days. It’s considered as clean eating.
Even I have noticed many changes in myself – reduced water retention, bloating and acidity with gluten free meals.
Finger miller or Ragi is one of the best source of non dairy calcium, high in nutrients needed by the body, super healthy and very low fat.
Adding Ragi as a part of your diet is super easy by making this simple yet delectable pancake or cheela. It can be served with green mint chutney or with inki chutney.
My kids like it with a bit of crumbled paneer in centre but for a vegan option you can skip it. It’s totally optional. Also, I make it with ghee for kids and as a vegan option I use sunflower oil.
You can either use curd or for a vegan option you can use dairy free milk .
- Finger millet or Ragi flour – 1 cup
- Gram flour or besan – 1/3 cup
- Curd or dairy free milk – 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1 inch grated
- Green chillies – 3-4 chopped finely
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Ghee or oil for cooking
- Water – as required for batter
- In a bowl, add Finger millet, besan , curd or milk, ginger, green chillies, salt, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Whisk everything together and add water to make a thick pancake batter.
- Leave aside for half hour. After half hour the batter will thicken up. Add some more water if the batter becomes too thick. It should be like a thick flower pancake batter.
- Add in the chopped onions and mix well.
- On a non stick tawa or girdle apply little oil with a brush. Pour a ladle of batter in the centre of the tawa and slowly spread the batter in circular motion with help of the ladle like a cheela or dosa.
- Cook on medium high flame till the edges start turning light brown and the cheela leaves the sides of the pan.
- Apple little oil and ghee on the top and flip to cook on other side.
- Cook till both sides get light brown.
- Remove from tawa and serve hot with mint coriander chutney or tamarind chutney.