Jackfruit or Kathal is one of my most favourite vegetable . Maybe its the combination of whole spices with garlic onion and semi fried jackfruit that makes it irresistible. It can be made vegan by omitting the curd and milk cream but my husband loves the taste of curd and milk cream. Its a must try recipe and perfect way to fall in love with the powerhouse of nutrition and taste.
- 500 gms Kathal or Jackfruit (cut in pieces)
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
- 1 Tbsp Besan or Gram Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 4-5 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole dried red chillies
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 cup Onions, grated
- 1tsp Ginger, finely chopped
- 1tsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes, grated
- 1tbs curd (optional)
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt – as per taste
- 1tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2tsp Degi Mirch (for color)
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp roasted kasuri methi
- 1tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh milk cream
- Wash the cut pieces of jackfruit and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- In a bowl, add the jackfruit, besan, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and 1 tsp of mustard oil. Marinade and mix well. Keep aside for half hour.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup Mustard oil in a frying pan. Fry the kathal in two or three batches till slightly brown. We need it half cooked because it will be pressure cooked later.
- In a pressure cooker, add 2tbsp of mustard oil(use from the oil used for frying). Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, whole peppercorns, cloves, whole dried red chillies and sautéed for a minute.
- Next, add ginger, garlic and green chillies and sautéed for half a minute. then, add grated onions and sauté till light brown.(tip: add 1/4tsp sugar and pinch of salt at this point to get faster and equal browning).
- Then, add all spices : salt, turmeric, coriander powder, red chilli and degi mirch.
- Add, the grated tomatoes (and curd if you opt for it )and mix well and cook on high for couple of minutes.
- Then, add fried kathal to the mix and add 3/4cup of water and close the pressure cooker.
- Cook on high till one whistle, then on slow flame for 5 more minutes.
- When, the pressure drops add roasted kasuri methi, garam masala and milk cream.
- Garnish with chopped green coriander and serve with hot phulkas.