Eggless, sugar free, wholewheat, healthy, soft, moist with crunch of walnut , vegan and gluten free cake . Its sounds like a slice of heaven and it sure tastes like one. I have made this cake in both options as for my kids I make it with wholewheat flour and organic cow milk and as I am on diet , I make it vegan and Gluten free options.
Its an easiest loaf cake and can be eaten at any time of day: as tea cake, breakfast, after meal dessert, travel cake, school tiffin treat or for late night cravings.
Its super moist, delicious, simple and super healthy. Try making this simple loaf cake and it will be a staple in your home.
Hint: It makes for an attractive sweet goodies option and give away for festivals – Rakshabandahn, Diwali or Christmas.
- 20-25 dates
- 1 1/2 cup milk/dairy free milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour/for gluten -free version use gluten free APF (I used Organ brand)
- 1/2 cup canola /sunflower/ any flavourless oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup walnut
- 2 tbsp tutti fruiti (optional )
- Remove seeds from the dates and soak them in warm milk for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven on 170*C . Butter and dust the loaf pan with flour. You can also use parchment paper to line the loaf pan.
- Blend dates into a paste along with the milk .
- When its smooth, add oil in the mixer and blend well.
- Sieve together flour and baking soda and baking powder three times. Pour in the dates and milk mixture and mix all together with a hand-whisk till there is no dry flour. Don’t overheat as it will make cake hard.
- Chop the walnuts ,coat it and tutti fruits with some flour and mix it in the batter with a spatula. (reserve some chopped walnuts and tutti fruit for top of cake)
- Pour the batter in prepared tin, and you can add chopped walnuts and tutti fruits on top of the batter.
- Bake the cake for 35-40min on 170*c in the centre rack.
- Check after 35 minutes, by inserting a skewer. If it comes back with few crumbs its done. Else leave for another 5 mins.
- Brush with milk as soon as out of oven to keep it moist and soft. Cool in the pan for 5 mins and then on a coming rack for about an hour.
- You can keep this cake in refrigerator (in summers, outside in winters) and warm it up in microwave when serving or eating.
- This cake is generally eaten fresh and stays good for 3- days in refrigerator, but in my home it doesn’t last that long as its over the day its made.