Dal Makhni or Dal Bukhara is one of the most famous vegetarian dish of India. Even prime ministers and president of many countries have tried this recipe when in India.
It’s one of main dish people make at any festive occasion and its the favourite of most of Indians be it vegetarians or non vegetarian.
Dal Makhni with naan is the best guilty pleasure for any day when u feel happy, sad or just down during this lockdown due to corona virus.
Make this yummilicious dal with Naan and have a delectable meal and forget the tension of this ongoing situation for some time. Plus, it’s a high source of protien and kids love it anytime of day.
The dal always taste much better the next day and also the more you cook it , the better it will taste.
The recipe has no onions and trust me it will turn out much better than any recipe you try , if you make it without onions and just garlic and tomatoes. During Navratri, I make this without garlic also. So you can make this as Jain dal makhni also by skipping garlic and following the rest of recipe.
- Urad dal whole black– 1cup
- Rajma – ¼cup
- Water – 5 cups
- Butter – 100gms/ ½ cup
- Ginger paste – 1tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic chopped – ½ tbsp –
- Kashmiri chilli powder –1½ tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh tomato puréed – 1 ½ cup
- Garlic chopped – ½ tbsp
- Butter– 2 tbsp
- Dried methi leaves – a generous pinch
- Cream – ¾ cup
- Soak the dal & rajma together for at least 3 hours (I prefer overnight)
- Now wash it clean til water becomes colourless.
- Add 5 cups water and boil in a pressure cooker. After one whistle reduce and boil for 25 -30 mins on sim. The lentil grain will open up .
- In a pan melt butter and saute ginger paste, garlic paste for 2 minutes. Now add the Kashmiri chili powder, stir and immediately add the tomato puree. Cook the tomatoes till they turn very thick & specs of butter ooze out.
- Add the tomatoes to the dal along with some water and salt. Cook the dal for 45-60 mins.
- In a separate pan heat butter and add chopped garlic. Brown the garlic and add it straight to the boiling dal.
- Remove dal from flame and then add Add some more butter along with dried methi leave and cream. Always add cream after removing from flame or else it will split.
- Serve hot with naan, parantha or rice.