My son is one of the most finicky eater I know. He doesn’t touch any healthy pumpkin, sunflower seeds nor almonds. All he loves is his paneer.
So finally I decided to make his favourite paneer lababdar with a gravy full of nutrition. Rather than adding cashew-nuts , I decided to add various types of seeds and chana dal to make it protein packed dish. Now it’s a healthy yet rich paneer dish.
Try it to believe it that how easily we can make our kids eat all types of seeds without any fuss .
- Peppercorns – 5
- Cloves – 5
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Star Anise – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1, about an inch long
- Tomatoes – 5 sliced
- Onions – 2 medium sliced
- Garlic cloves – 10
- Ginger – 1 inch piece, diced fine
- Pumpkin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Sunflower seeds – 1 tbsp
- Chana dal – 2 tbsp
- Melon seeds – 1 tbsp
- Almonds –7-8
- Kashmiri Degi Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Ghee– 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 1/2 cup
- Paneer – 300 gms diced in small pieces
- 1 tbsp butter
- Whole dried red chillies 6-7
- Degi Mirch 1 tsp
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves minced
- Kasoori Methi – 2 tsp roasted on a pan
- Cream – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- In a deep pan, heat ghee and saute all dry whole spices (cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns, star anise, cinnamon).
- Next add ginger garlic paste. Saute for a minute. Then add onions and add salt and sugar to it. It will caramalize onions faster and evenly.
- When onions are golden brown, add pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds , melon seeds , chana dal and almonds and roast for couple of minutes till dal is golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and add coriander powder and degi mirch. cook covered for 15 minutes on low to medium heat till done.
- Let the mix cool and then blend the contents into a smooth puree. Add milk while blending the puree. (Remove cinnamon stick, star anise and bay leaves before putting in blender) .
- In the pan, add a tbsp of ghee and add the pureed gravy. add water and boil for 10 -15 mins on low heat. Add the paneer pieces. Cover and remove from flame.
- In a small non stick pan, roast kasoori methi till it becomes fragrant.
- In a tadka pan, heat butter, add whole red chillies , minced garlic and degi mirch. When the garlic is roasted the tadka is ready .
- Add it to the gravy and garnish with fresh green coriander and garam masala.
- Top with hot tadka .
- Serve with rotis or pudina paranthas