Marble cakes look gorgeous and taste soft and delicate. They somehow take them to your childhood and they taste like the Britannia chocolate vanilla cake slices we used to get.
For a school bake sale, I decided to make this sponge Chocolate Marblr cake and then glaze it with ganache and then top with some M&Ms and Gems. After then I sliced them in slices and they were sold out instantly with kids asking me to make them for every bake sale. So much that my own daughter bought and ate my cake from bake sale.
The best thing about this cake is that it’s made with whole wheat flour and is eggless. As it’s made with oil , it’s very soft and spongy.
Make and enjoy this easy, awesome recipe
for Sponge – for 9″ loaf pan
serves 10-12 slices
- Whole-wheat flour 1.5 cups
- Granulated Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Curd- 1 cup (room temperature)
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 1.25 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsp
- Cooking oil – 1/2 Cup (I used sunflower oil)
- Cocoa powder unsweetened – 2 tbsp
For the ganache
- Amul cream – 180 ml
- Dark chocolate -250 gram
- Butter – 20gram
Gems or M&Ms to decorate
- Preheat oven at 180C for 10 mins and grease an 9″ loaf pan cake pan, with some oil and flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift wheat flour three times to add air.
- In another large bowl whisk curd to remove any lumps and add granulated sugar to it. Mix it well with a spoon and leave the curd and sugar mix for 5 minutes so that the sugar dissolves.
- After 5 minutes, add the baking powder and baking soda to curd. Beat again with a spoon and leave aside for 5 mins. You will see that there are bubbles on the surface of the mixture.
- Now , add the vanilla extract and oil. Mix well until the ingredients are combined.
- Now add the flour and gently fold the mixture using a whisk or spatula. Mix till you see no more dry flour . If it’s feels too dry add a tbsp or two of milk. It’s a thick batter cake.
- Now, divide the batter into two equal bowls. Add in the cocoa powder in one half of the batter. And mix well. It will be thick batter so don’t worry.
- Divide the vanilla cake batter in half further. Layer the bottom of the loaf tin with half of vanilla cake batter. Then top with the entire batch of chocolate batter. Now top with rest half of vanilla batter. With a skewer or tooth pick give a marble effect by running it in batter couple of times.
- Tap it firmly on the counter top a couple times to get rid of the air bubbles
- Bake in middle rack of a pre-heated oven for 30-35 mins until the top turns a golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out with dry crumbs.
- Brush the milk on top. Let the cake sit in the pan for 15 minutes and then take it out and cool on a cooling rack. Cover with ganache once the cake is completely cooled.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a dry bowl. There should be no water at all.
- In a sauce pan, add cream and butter. Heat over medium heat till you see bubble start to appear on the sides of the pan. It should not come to proper boil or cream will split.
- Immediately pour the hot cream over the chocolate and allow it to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir to whisk until smooth. Cool for 10 mins before pouring on cake.
Assembling the cake
- Pour the cool ganache on the top of cooked cake. Cover all the sides
- Decorate with gems or M&Ms on top. Keep in refrigerator for 15 minutes before cutting slices. A refrigerated cake helps in cutting clean slices
- Enjoy the soft spongy cake .