We all try to eat healthy but the cookie lover hidden inside us makes us grab that one cookie which is loaded with refined sugars, all purpose flour and loads of butter.
So, here I bring you a tasty , delectable, yummy option of a cookie made with the humble Jaggery or Gur which we all Indian have in our pantry.
Gur or Jaggery is a super healthy way of adding sweetness in our diet. Organic or desi gur doesn’t have any refined sugar in it. It is high in Iron and also make lungs healthier.
I have the blocks of Jaggery in my pantry rather than the Jaggery powder we get in market these days. For these cookies you can use which ever you have in your pantry.
- Whole wheat flour or atta – 1.5 cups
- Jaggery powder or grated jaggery – 65 grams
- Desi ghee or clarified butter – 100 gms , room temp
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamon powder – 1/2 tsp(optional, I skip it as kids don’t like it)
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
- Milk – 3 Tbsp
- salt – a pinch
- In a bowl , add Desi ghee and grated jaggery or jaggery powder. With a whisk, whisk them together till they are well combined. The mixture will become light and fluffy.
- Sieve Wholewheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder, cardamon powder together and add to the fluffy ghee – jaggery mixture.
- Add milk and bring them together to form a dough. Add a tsp or more of milk , if the dough is not coming together.
- Cover the dough with a cling film and rest for 10- 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre heat the oven at 180*c for 10 minutes.
- After resting the dough, roll out the dough with a rolling pin till you get a thickness of about 1/4inch. Cut out round cookies with a help of cookie cutter. You can also cut in any desired shape with help of cookie cutter you have.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Place, the cookies lightly on the baking sheet with little space between them. Create a design in centre with help of a tooth pick or fork if you wish.
- Bake them for 15-18 minutes on 180*c, till they become dark brown in colour. For a crispy cookie bake them for 18 minutes.
- Take them out and let them cool in pan for 5 minutes and then on a cooling rack till they are completely cooled. Store them in an airtight container.