We all love to have a warm bowl of soup on a lazy evening. But, it becomes soul satisfying along with some crispy buttery breadsticks.
This buttery , crisp breadsticks we get in restaurant is one of the main reason why we love to have soup in restaurants rather than at home.
What we get in restaurant and in market is made with all purpose flour. My kids crave for these with soup every evening.
So I decided to make them with wholewheat flour and oats along with dried herbs . Making these ensured that my kids demanded that I make soup every evening without fail. What more can a mother ask for.
- Rolled Oats – 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup or 75 gms
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup or 120 gms
- Active dry yeast – 2 tsp
- Water – 90gms ( from 1/2 cup water remove 1tbsp of water )
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Sesame seeds white – 1/2 tsp
- Nigella seeds or kalonji -1/2 tsp
- Dried oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli flakes – 1/4 tsp
- Softened Butter – 40 gms or 3 tbsp
- In a glass bowl take 90 gms of lukewarm water. If you don’t have a weight scale remove 1 tbsp of water from 1/2 cup of water to get 90gms of water.
- Add 1/2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp yeast in lukewarm water, mix and leave covered for 10 mins for yeast to be activated.
- Meanwhile grind 1/2 cup oats to a fine powder.
- In a bowl, add whole wheat flour, powdered oats, salt, oregano, chilli flakes, nigella seeds and sesame seeds. Mix well with a fork.
- Now add the softened butter and bloomed yeast and knead well for 10 -12 minutes till you get a soft dough. At starting the dough might be sticky. Keep working the dough for 10 mins , it will come together as a soft dough by the end of it.
- Keep the kneaded dough in a oiled bowl, covered with a cling film in a warm place for atleast 1.5 hours or till its doubled. In summers, it takes less time around an hour.
- Prepare two baking trays and line them with parchment paper.
- After 1.5 hours, take out the dough and divide the dough in small portions and roll into long sticks with hands without using any flour. I made 40 breadsticks with this recipe.
- Place the rolled sticks on the lined baking trays and cover with a cloth and leave for second proofing for 10-15 minutes.
- Pre- heat the oven to 200*c for 10 minutes.
- Bake the breadsticks for 15 -17 mins till golden.
- They will become crispy once they cool.
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container and enjoy with soups or with butter or even with tea.