Skip to content
I have been following intermittent fasting recently and the last meal of the day I try to keep healthy yet filling but low on calories.
Beetroots are in season currently and are very high on nutrition meter. But somehow, I have never liked eating them since childhood.
But on diet, I wanted to add thi nutrition powerhouse to my meals . So I decided to pair my most favourite green apples with roasted beetroot to make this salad. And it was heavenly.
Finally, beetroots are on food list forever and the classic combination of beetroots and feta cheese is to die for.
Try making this and you will relish it .
Ingredients for 2 serving
- 1 large beetroot, topped, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 green apple cut into cubes
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup mixed salad leaves
- 40 g feta cheese
- 8-10 walnut halves
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 4-5 orange segments
- salt & pepper as per taste
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
Layer a baking tray with aluminium foil. Place Beetroot wedges on the foil. Apply olive oil, salt and pepper on all wedges.
Roast in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes and cook until the beets are cooked. The beets are done when you can easily pierce the beets with a sharp knife.
Once cooked leave the beetroot to cool slightly before adding to the salad.
To assemble the salad, place the leaves in a large salad bowl, add the cubed green apples, beetroot, crumble over the walnuts and feta. Add the orange segments and scatter over the pumpkin seeds.
You can add the dressing to the salad and toss the salad when ready to serve. At last lightly drizzle some balsamic reduction on top as per your taste . I generally drizzle around 1/2tsp per portion.
To make balsamic reduction
- In a pan heat balsamic vinegar and honey on low flame till it reduces to half. Cool the reduction & store in a airtight jar in refrigerator. You can use this to drizzle on salads or even sandwiches.
To make the dressing:
- Whisk together the orange juice and Dijon mustard. Then whisk in the olive oil, add the salt and pepper.
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: